- Design: research on the ways in which ULL are being designed and how ULL vary between urban contexts.
- Practices: research on how, by whom and with what impact ULL are put into practice.
- Processes: understanding the processes through which ULL create an impact beyond their immediate domain (critical in terms of assessing their potential as a means of governing transitions for sustainability).
- Integration: synthesis of empirical results and conceptual links between design, practices and processes as well as co-production of knowledge with key users and disseminating project results.
- In-depth cases (12-16) of ULL from Sweden, the UK, Austria and the Netherlands including the cities of Malmö, Newcastle, Graz and Rotterdam.
- Snap-shot cases of ULL examples across Europe.
- A systematic framework for evaluating the design, practices and processes of ULL to enable the comparative analysis of their potential and limitations.
- New insights into the governance of urban sustainability and improving the design and implementation of ULL in order to realise their potential.